Skip Navigation


Additional education or training can be useful in preparing for work. It can also help you with keeping your current job or even taking on a different job.

Job training can happen in different ways and you may be able to receive support to get the training you need to work. Plan with your Support Team about how training could help you get the job you want and explore the resources listed below.


Workshops are offered in different area of interest, and often at low or no cost. They may focus on a particular occupation or topic be offered through industry associations, special-interest groups, or public or community organisation.

Transition Career Exploration Workshop (TCEW)

The TCEW curriculum is an exciting new resource for use with transition-age students. Developed by the Maine Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, the TCEW engages students in career exploration through the use of assessments, small-group activities and games while helping them learn more about their vocational skills and interests. Contact your local Division of Vocational Rehabilitation office for more information.


Maine CareerCenters

Do you have the skills you need to advance in your career or get a new job? There has never been a better time for you to think about education or training options that well help you get ahead. Maine's CareerCenters offer many resources that help you to set goals, find training, and identify financial resources to help you make your plan work. CareerCenters provide Workforce Investment Act (WIA) services in Maine.

SafetyWorks! Training

Trainings are offered on a regular basis for individuals or an employer can request to have one done for their employees. Trainings include Small Business Safety and Health, Forklift Operator, Construction, OSHA training, Safety Officer training, Video Display Terminal training, among others.

Small Business Training

The Small Business Administration runs a variety of workshops for individuals interested in starting a small business or for those already running a business.

On-the-Job Training

On-the-Job-Training (OJT) is for individuals who are working with Vocational Rehabilitation and is set up as part of the Individualized Employment Plan (IPE) at a place of business.


Registered apprenticeship connects job seekers looking to learn new skills with employers looking for qualified workers, resulting in a workforce with industry-driven training and employers with a competitive edge. The Maine Apprenticeship Program assists in setting up training programs consisting of on-the-job training (OJT) and related classroom instruction.

MAP may reimburse up to 50% of an apprentice's tuition for college credit courses. In addition, the apprentice works full-time for their sponsor (employer), applying related coursework and newly acquired skills to accomplish occupational tasks in a hands-on environment.

There is also a Pre-Apprenticeship program available for students in 11th or 12th grade and prepares them to move into the general Apprenticeship program upon graduation.

Adult Education

All Maine communities benefit from a local or regional adult education program. Adult education programs are generally run in the local schools or community centers and focus on five main areas: High School Completion, Literacy, College Transitions, Business and Skills Training, and Personal Enrichment.

Classes are generally small (under 20 students) and free or low cost.

Certificate Courses

Certificate courses typically focus on core vocational skills. They may require up to a year of training, and classes may qualify for college credit.

Certificate Options in Human Services field

Other areas can include welding, photography, Certified Nursing Assistant, Personal Care Assistant, medical transcription or other vocational training. More information is available through local universities and community colleges.

College or University Options

For information on degree program offered through Maine's colleges and universities and financial assistance information, go to

The College Board administers many of the college test including the SAT, AP and PSAT tests. Information on receiving accommodation on the College Board tests.